A 6-year old boy from Brooklyn was burned on his hands Saturday night when a recalled Samsung Galaxy Note 7 exploded, according to the New York Post.
Exploding Samsung Galaxy Note 7 burns 6-year-old
The boy was watching videos on the phone when the device exploded in his hands, the boy’s grandmother told the newspaper. The family called 911, and he was rushed to the hospital with burns on his body. He has been released and returned home. But his grandmother says he is now too scared to go near other devices.
Samsung acknowledged the incident in a statement and said it has been in touch with the family of the boy.
“We take every report very seriously and have contacted the Lewis family to learn more about their situation,” a spokesman said in a statement. “As we are currently looking into this case, we are unable to comment further right now.”
Samsung issued a recall of the devices last week after 35 reports that the phone’s batteries could overheat and explode. The company has agreed to replace every single Galaxy Note 7 in the market. To help speed up the effort, the Consumer Product Safety Commission stepped in and is working with Samsung on the recall.
The Federal Aviation Administration issued a warning Thursday to airplane passengers, asking them not to turn on or charge a Galaxy Note 7 on planes.
If you have a Galaxy Note 7, you can find out more about the recall at Samsung’s official site